IU School of Social Work is headquartered on the IUPUI campus with locations on 8 IU Campuses. The school also has the Department of Labor Studies
Larry Bennett, Ph.D., LCSW
1700 Mishawaka Ave.
South Bend, Indiana 46634
Office: (574) 520-4881
PhD, University of Illinois, Chicago, 1990
Area of Interest:
I began in the behavioral health field in 1973, retiring from practice in 2012 after spending the last 20 years focused on court-ordered child custody evaluation. I have been in academia full time since 1988, serving on the faculties of the Jane Addams College of Social Work (UIC), Carthage College in Wisconsin, and the Indiana University School of Social Work (IUSB). My research interest lies in the area of intimate partner violence (IPV), specifically in the effectiveness of hybrid, coordinated, and integrated interventions for IPV and substance use disorder. Most recently I have focused on application of screening, intervening, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) models to partner abuse intervention systems (PAIPS), the effectiveness of PAIPS, and the role social class plays in PAIPS effectiveness.
I enjoy helping social work students improve their practice and policy skills by learning to evaluate the effectiveness of whatever social or clinical intervention they employ,
Since joining the faculty of IUSSW in 2014, my publications include:
- Bennett, L.W. (2014). Comments on Stuart, et al.’s “Genetic Associations with Intimate Partner Violence in a Sample of Hazardous Drinking Men in Batterer Intervention Programs.” Violence Against Women, 20, 406-413. DOI: 10.1177/1077801214528584
- Tolman, R. & Bennett, L. (2014). Group work with men who batter. In C. W. LeCroy (Ed). Case Studies in Social Work Practice (3rd Edition, pp. 291-300). Belmont CA: Wadsworth Publishing Co.
- Riger, S., Bennett, L.W., Sigurvinsdottir, R. (2014). Barriers to addressing substance abuse in domestic violence court. American Journal of Community Psychology. 53, 208-217. DOI: 10.1007/s10464-014-9636-4
- Bennett, L.W., Prabhughate, P., & Gallagher, J.R. (2016). Accounting for intimate partner violence in substance abuse recovery: Staff and agency readiness for screening and referral. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 34, 126–142.DOI: 10.1080/07347324.2016.1148478.
- McGregor, K., Hall, J. Ott, M.A., Bennett, L.W., & Wilkerson, D. A. (2016). A social work perspective on paediatric and adolescent research vulnerability. Social Work & Social Sciences Review (England), 18 (2), 67-80.
- Bennett, L.W. & Williams, O.J. (2017). Perpetrators of intimate partner violence. Encyclopedia of Social Work. Published online by Oxford University Press. http://socialwork.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199975839.001.0001/acrefore-9780199975839-e-996
- Bennett, L.W. (2017). Current controversies: Substance use and intimate partner violence. In C.M. Renzetti, J.L. Edleson, & R.K. Bergen (Eds.) Sourcebook on Violence Against Women, 3rd Edition [pp. 51-55]. Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Publications.
- Gondolf, E.W., Bennett, L., & Mankowski, E. (2017). Lessons in program evaluation: The ACTV batterer program study and its claims. Violence Against Women. Published online. DOI: 10.1177/1077801217741994