Skip to main content

The MSW online program is not accepting international students at this time, with the possible exception of Canadian citizens, because of US Homeland Security law. United States citizens who are living abroad may apply. Prior consultation with MSW online program staff is required.

If you are an applicant in the United States on a temporary visa (e.g., a student or work visa) and have completed your undergraduate studies outside of the United States, once the graduate department has made a decision to admit you into their program, you must submit additional information to the Office of International Affairs. This information includes:

  • Academic records
  • Proof of English proficiency*
  • Financial documentation (for Visa purposes)
  • Clarification of present Visa status
  • Copy of your Passport ID page

Note: The Office of International Affairs is responsible for all travel and immigration documentation and for student orientation to living in the United States. Upon arrival, all international students and exchange visitors must report to this office.

*Proof of English proficiency varies by program. Students applying to the  Master’s program at the Indiana University School of Social Work must provide their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language System (IELTS) examination results. Results must be from tests administered within the past two years of your application. Minimum TOEFL scores are paper-based, 650; computer-based, 250; internet-based, 100. Minimum IELTS scores are 7.5 to 8.0.